Fluoride is synonymous with taking care of your teeth. You can find it in most toothpastes and mouthwashes, and for children who aren’t getting enough fluoride, supplemental tablets and fluoride treatments are often prescribed. Fluoride has the ability to strengthen teeth topically and internally. What else do you know about fluoride? Test your knowledge and try this quiz from your Dallas dentist, Dr. Truong:
1. True or False: Fluoride is a man-made chemical additive.
2. Victims of fluorosis fall into which age category:
- Under 6
- 70 and older
- Any age
3. True or False: Many American neighborhoods infuse tap water with fluoride.
4. Which foods contain small amounts of fluoride:
- All of the above
- False. Fluoride is derived from fluorine, a mineral element that can be found in small amounts in water, air, and some foods. Because it comes from a natural source, fluoride is considered to be a safe additive in toothpastes and mouthwashes.
- Children under the age of 6 that are exposed to extremely high doses of fluoride are at risk for fluorosis. A child with fluorosis will have discoloration on newly developing teeth. To avoid this, supervise young children when they brush their teeth, and keep toothpastes and mouthwashes out of reach.
- Water-fluoridation systems have become quite common in American neighborhoods. The systems are checked daily to ensure safe levels of fluoride in our drinking water. The American Dental Hygienists’ Association notes that adding fluoride to water in the United States has reduced tooth decay by up to 60% since World War II.
- All of the above, though you will still want to seek fluoride from other sources, as the amount of fluoride found in a serving of food is not enough to adequately fight tooth decay.
Contact Viva Dental for an Appointment
Are you getting enough fluoride to keep your teeth healthy? Dr. Truong will be able to tell, by examining your teeth. If you are due for a checkup, call Viva Dental, in Dallas, at (214) 337-7800, or call our newly opened Richardson office at (972)437-6000. Dr. Truong is proud to serve patients in the 75211 and 75080 zip codes, and surrounding areas.