salivary glandsSaliva is an incredible solution made entirely from one gland in the body, yet, most people don’t know much about saliva. As a matter of fact, saliva is the substance that helps ward off cavities. By creating a neutral oral environment, saliva slows down bacteria and stops the acid production that breaks down enamel.

For more facts about saliva, read this blog post provided by your Richardson, TX dentist, Dr. Diep Truong.

Did You Know This about Saliva?

  1. Neutralizer. Saliva contains an enzyme called, amylase, which helps breakdown cooked starches and converts these into sugar. Additionally, humans make about 1.7 liters of saliva each day and roughly 10,000 gallons of saliva throughout an entire lifetime.
  2. No saliva equals no taste. Did you know your taste is attributed to saliva? In fact, without saliva you’re ability to taste is complete hampered. For example, if your tongue was completely dry and a pinch of sugar was placed on the surface, the sugary taste wouldn’t exist. However, as soon as it was allowed to mix with saliva, the sweetness would appear.
  3. Water-based compound. According to your Richardson, TX dentist, saliva is made mostly of water by about 98%. The other 2% is small traces of electrolytes, mucus, enzymes, and even antibacterial compounds. Furthermore, due to the added compounds in saliva, it has a boiling point three times that of regular water.
  4. None is made during sleep. Just about everyone is familiar with morning breath and the associated dry mouth that comes with it. This is because the production of saliva slows down to almost nothing while a person sleep, which allows the mouth to dry out. With a dry mouth, oral bacteria tends to skyrocket, and thus, morning breath occurs.

For General Dental Care, Visit Viva Dental

If you would like more helpful tips and tricks to maintain your smile healthy, ask Dr. Truong. She can suggest products and daily dental tools that clean teeth effectively. To schedule an appointment with your Richardson, TX dentist, call us at (214) 337-7800. Also, visit our website for services, reviews, to learn more about our dental team. We happily serve new and existing patients in North Oak Cliff, Kessler Park, Duncanville, Grand Prairie, Richardson, Carrolton, Garland, Addison, Farmers Branch, and nearby suburbs.