A dental cleaning is a common procedure. As a result, many people underestimate the importance of undergoing a routine cleaning. At Viva Dental Family Dentistry, we understand that a simple dental cleaning helps protect smiles against tooth decay and gum disease.
Dallas TX Dental Cleaning Quiz
1. True or False: Brushing and flossing your teeth is just as good as a dental cleaning.
2. True or False: You should undergo a dental cleaning twice a year.
4. True or False: A dental cleaning helps fight periodontal disease.
1. False. While brushing and flossing your teeth regularly is vital for good dental health, you also need a dental cleaning. Brushing and flossing can’t remove plaque buildup, which can inflame the gums and weaken tooth enamel.
2. True. The American Dental Association recommends that adults and older children receive a dental cleaning at least twice a year. Your Dallas TX dentist may suggest more frequent cleanings for patients susceptible to gum disease. If you need to schedule a consultation with Dr. Truong, please see our contact information below.
3. True. To safely and comfortably remove stubborn plaque buildup, your Dallas TX dentist employs an ultrasonic scaler. This innovative device uses gentle vibrations to knock plaque and tartar from the surface of your teeth.
4. True. Plaque buildup can lead to gum inflammation, causing the gums to pull away from the teeth and form pockets at the gumline. Bacteria can then invade these exposed pockets, forming periodontal disease. Patients may notice their gums appear red and bleed easily. In advanced cases, periodontal disease causes the connective tissue between teeth and gums to dissolve, leading to loose teeth and even tooth loss. A simple cleaning helps protect your smile by acting as a preventive measure against gum disease.
About Dr. Truong: Dr. Diep Truong, DDS offers a comfortable dental care employing the latest in cutting-edge dental technology. Our patients in Dallas and Richardson have access to innovative preventive, cosmetic, and restorative procedures. To schedule an appointment, call Viva Dental Family Dentistry at (214) 337-7800 (Dallas) or (972) 437-6000 (Richardson).