Your little one needs to see the dentist on a regular basis. Otherwise, he/she could be at risk of developing gingivitis or tooth decay. But how do you prepare your child for dental visits? Often, children heel anxious about the visit or may even dread it. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to ease your child’s anxiety and help them enjoy a happy and calm visit to the office.
Preparing Your Little One
1. Choose the Right Dentist: You want a dental professional who offers child care or specializes in children’s dentistry. You can look online at a dentist’s services or find reviews from previous patients. Look for a professional who is calm and offers a children’s dentistry.
2. Pick a Good Time: For young children, you need to take into an account of the nap schedule. Otherwise, your child could feel sleepy or irritable, making a visit difficult. By scheduling your visit around the nap schedule, your child may feel more alert and eager to see the dentist.
3. Stay Positive: Avoid using terms like “hurt” or “pain”. Even if you are trying to assure your child that the visit will be pleasant, using those words can make them nervous before they even set foot inside the office.
4. Listen To Your Child: Your little one will have questions and concerns. You should listen to them and answer them to the best of your ability. You can also contact the dentist for information or let the doctor know about your child’s concerns beforehand.
5. Don’t Be Nervous: If you feel nervous about seeing the dentist, you child could pick up on the subtle indicators of your apprehension. In turn, this could make them feel scared. You should strive to stay upbeat and positive, exuding confidence to help your little one feel relaxed and comfortable.
ABOUT YOUR RICHARDSON, TX CHILDREN’S DENTIST:
Richardson TX dentist, Dr. Diep Truong, DDS offers a comfortable dental care employing the latest in cutting-edge dental technology. We strive to make sure our patients in Dallas and Richardson have access to innovative preventive, cosmetic, and restorative procedures. To schedule an appointment, call Viva Dental Family Dentistry at (214) 337-7800 (Dallas) or (972) 437-6000 (Richardson).