Tooth decay affects millions of people, causing discomfort and endangering the health of the smile. How do you repair cavities? With restorative dentistry, a dental professional can return a tooth to full function and health. We may recommend either a filling or a dental crown to repair your decayed tooth.

Do I Need Treatment?

How do you know if you have a cavity? There are two common warning signs:

  • Tooth sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures
  • Toothaches

If you experience any discomfort in or around your tooth that persists after 48 hours you should see a dental professional right away. Diagnosing and treating the issue in the early stages is essential for avoiding possible infection. Don’t ignore the possible warning signs.


A dental filling is one of the more common methods of treating a cavity. They can be completed in a single visit and are made from a composite resin. This material is metal-free and mimics the appearance of natural tooth structure. The process involves removing decay and applying the composite resin. We then cure the material with a light. Afterward, we polish the tooth to ensure a more lifelike appearance.


A dental crown acts as a cap that fits over the visible portion of the tooth. If the decay is advanced, then we may place the crown instead of a dental filling. We make the crowns from a variety of materials, including porcelain, porcelain-fused-to-metal, eMax, and zirconia. The material used will depend on the where in the mouth the crown is being placed. The restoration will be made from impression gathered of your teeth. This ensures the new crown will look and function like a natural tooth. If you have any questions, then contact our office today.


Dallas TX dentist, Dr. Diep Truong, DDS offers a comfortable dental care employing the latest in cutting-edge dental technology. We strive to make sure our patients in Dallas and Richardson have access to innovative preventive, cosmetic, and restorative procedures. To schedule an appointment, call Viva Dental Family Dentistry at (214) 337-7800 (Dallas) or (972) 437-6000 (Richardson).