Do children need fillings? Many adults assume kids don’t require a restorative treatment because the baby teeth fall out eventually anyway. Unfortunately, this just isn’t true. All cavities require treatment to prevent discomfort, cavities, or potentially even premature tooth loss.
Children’s Filling Quiz
- True or False: Sugary foods and drinks can lead to decay.
- True or False: A toothache can be a warning sign of a cavity.
- True or False: A cavity needs a filling.
- True or False: Dental sealants can help prevent tooth decay.
- True. Bacteria can break down the sugar particles caught between the teeth. The process of breaking these particles increases oral acidity and coats the teeth in plaque, a bacterial byproduct. Soon, the enamel erodes, allowing bacteria to reach the inner layers of dentin and cause cavities to form.
- True. Once decay occurs the child may experience sensitive teeth or possibly a toothache. If the ache doesn’t subside after a day or so then you may need to see the dentist. Treating decay early prevents the spread of bacteria, helping children avoid infection or tooth loss.
- True. If you don’t place a filling then infection can set in. The tooth will then need to be removed to stop further discomfort and prevent the spread of infection to other teeth. Losing teeth premature can cause the permanent teeth to erupt incorrectly, allowing misalignment to occur and requiring orthodontic treatment.
- True. In addition to treating the decay with a filling we can help prevent them with a dental sealant. This procedure seals the back teeth by placing a plastic coating on them. Food can no longer become trapped between them, reducing the risk of cavities forming.
ABOUT YOUR RICHARDSON, TX, DENTIST:
Viva Dental in Dallas, TX, welcomes patients from North Oak Cliff, Bishop Arts District, Kessler Park, Duncanville, Grand Prairie, and nearby cities. Viva Dental in Richardson, TX, happily welcomes patients from North Dallas, Plano, Garland, and the surrounding communities. To learn more, contact the Viva Dental office nearest you. To schedule an appointment, call Viva Dental Family Dentistry at (214) 337-7800 (Dallas) or (972) 437-6000 (Richardson).