How can you enjoy a healthy smile during the holidays? With the winter season comes family gatherings and a lot of sweets. Instead of the holidays being a time that endangers your smile, why not take steps to protect your teeth and gums? With the right actions you can greet 2016 with a noticeably healthier smile.
Try Our General Dentistry Quiz
- True or False: Sugary foods and drinks can lead to cavities.
- True or False: You can enjoy smile health alternatives.
- True or False: Flossing after each meal can help.
- True or False: You should see the dentist during your winter break.
- True. The occasional soda or piece of cake is fine, but in the holidays we are inundated with sweets of all kinds. When we consume a lot of sugar the particles coat the teeth and become trapped between them. As bacteria break down these particles plaque coats the teeth, eroding the tooth enamel and inflaming the gums.
- True. Try drinking water or tea, as these have lower sugar (none at all with water) and tea actually contains ingredients that can fight decay-causing bacteria. For snacks, try offering fresh fruits and low-fat yogurt. You can also try to limit how many desserts you have with your meal.
- True. Take a little time to slip away to the bathroom. There you can use a small package of floss to clean between your teeth.
- True. If you have kids out of school take advantage of the break. Bring the entire family o have their teeth examined and cleaned. You can help them start a New Year with a more beautiful and healthy smile.
ABOUT YOUR RICHARDSON, TX, DENTIST:
Viva Dental in Dallas, TX, welcomes patients from North Oak Cliff, Bishop Arts District, Kessler Park, Duncanville, Grand Prairie, and nearby cities. Viva Dental in Richardson, TX, happily welcomes patients from North Dallas, Plano, Garland, and the surrounding communities. To learn more, contact the Viva Dental office nearest you. To schedule an appointment, call Viva Dental Family Dentistry at (214) 337-7800 (Dallas) or (972) 437-6000 (Richardson).