In just a few days we’ll be officially be in a new year. Aside from working out and learning a new hobby, what resolutions have you made? With just a few small changes, you can easily obtain better oral health in 2017. Let 2017 be the year you improve your smile!
Improve Your Smile in 2017
- Cut back on sugary foods/drinks: When you consume foods and drinks high in sugar and other starches, these particles can coat the teeth. Then, bacteria can break down the particles to increase oral acidity and cause plaque buildup, a sticky biofilm that can inflame gum tissue and weaken tooth enamel. Soon, you could develop a high risk of gum disease and tooth decay.
- Stop smoking: When you smoke or use tobacco products you develop stained teeth, gum inflammation, and a higher risk of periodontitis, which often leads to adult tooth loss. In addition, smoking increases the risk of oral, lung, and throat cancer. We always suggest patients stop using tobacco products immediately.
- Don’t ignore checkup and cleaning appointments: We know your life can be very busy and hectic, so skipping routine visits can be very tempting. But your checkup is a great way for us to identify problems and treat them in the early stages. In addition, a cleaning can brighten teeth, freshen breath, and reduce the risk of gum disease and tooth decay.
- Brush correctly: You should be brushing twice a day with a soft bristled brush. Each time, you should brush your teeth for a minimum of two minutes per session.
- Floss: You should also be flossing on either side of each tooth every night before going to bed.
ABOUT YOUR RICHARDSON, TX, DENTIST:
Viva Dental in Dallas, TX, welcomes patients from North Oak Cliff, Bishop Arts District, Kessler Park, Duncanville, Grand Prairie, and nearby cities. Viva Dental in Richardson, TX, happily welcomes patients from North Dallas, Plano, Garland, and the surrounding communities. To learn more, contact the Viva Dental office nearest you. To schedule an appointment, call Viva Dental Family Dentistry at (214) 337-7800 (Dallas) or (972) 437-6000 (Richardson).