Teeth stains occur for a number of reasons, from the foods and drinks we consume to our daily dental care habits. What can residents of Dallas and Richardson, TX, do to get a brighter smile? In today’s blog, we’re going to look at routine homecare and discuss possible professional solutions to teeth stains. Let’s work together to help you enjoy a brighter smile!
Tips for Achieving a Brighter Smile
- Brush and Floss Daily: Routine homecare not only helps reduce your risk of tooth decay and gingivitis, but also helps reduce the severity of discoloration. You should brush your teeth twice a day for two minutes, once when you wake up and again before bed. We suggest a toothbrush with soft bristles and a toothpaste that contains fluoride. You also need to floss nightly before going to bed, which removes the food particles a toothbrush alone cannot.
- Avoid Certain Foods and Drinks: Did you know that the particles left behind by sugary foods and drinks can be broken down by bacteria, causing plaque buildup and more apparent discoloration? The foods and beverages we consume impact the shade of our smiles. We suggest consuming more water and fewer sodas, coffees, teas, and red wines. You should also consider snacks that contain less sugar, such as fruit, vegetables, low-fat yogurt, nuts, or sugar-free gum.
- Have Your Teeth Cleaned: You should see us every six moths for a dental cleaning, a simple procedure that removes the plaque and tartar from your teeth. The procedure also helps ensure a brighter smile and fresher breath. So, be sure you schedule your routine cleanings, so you can not only enjoy a brighter smile, but also one with a reduced risk of cavities and gum disease!
- Try Our Teeth Whitening Procedures: We actually have two different types of teeth whitening. Our in-office option removes stains in about one to two hours with a special light and a powerful bleaching gel. We also have a home-based option, which involves wearing a set off trays filled with a bleaching gel daily for about 30 to 45 minutes. Patients enjoy optimal results in a week to ten days.
- Masking Stains: If you have permanent teeth stains, also known as intrinsic discoloration, teeth whitening may not be enough. In order to mask severe discoloration, we may suggest dental bonding or possibly porcelain veneers, both of which transform your tooth’s appearance, addressing stains and other cosmetic issues.
Ready for a Whiter Smile?
Our team wants to help you obtain the bright, beautiful smile you’ve dreamed of. For more information, schedule a consultation by calling the Viva Dental Family Dentistry office nearest you at (214) 337-7800 (Dallas) or (972) 437-6000 (Richardson).