For millions of Americans, gum disease is a serious risk to their dental health. According to recent studies conducted by the Centers for Disease Control, over 64.7 million people in the United States exhibit signs of periodontal disease. Your Dallas TX dentist, Dr. Diep Truong, offers treatment for gum disease to improve the health and beauty of your smile.
Dallas TX Gum Disease Quiz
1. True or False: Poor oral hygiene leads to gum disease.
2. True or False: Sore, bleeding gums are signs of periodontal disease.
3. True or False: Without treatment, gum disease can lead to tooth loss.
4. True or False: With a dental cleaning, your Dallas TX dentist helps prevent gum disease.
1. True. When we don’t brush and floss, bacteria break down stray food parties, a process which coats the teeth in a sticky layer of plaque buildup. Plaque buildup weakens enamel and leads to gum inflammation, or gingivitis. Without treatment, the gums may begin pulling away from the teeth and forming pockets at the gum line. Once bacteria invade these pockets, the patient may develop gum disease.
2. True. In addition, patients may report bad breath, red gums, and loose teeth.
3. True. Gum disease often causes the connective tissue between your teeth and gums to deteriorate. As a result, patients may soon suffer from tooth loss. Missing teeth hinder both the function and appearance of your smile.
4. True. During a cleaning, your Dallas TX dentist will remove the plaque coating your teeth. Using an ultrasonic scaler, she can also remove hardened plaque, typically referred to as tartar. If Dr. Truong discovers the presence of gum disease, she can remove the infected tissue and clean beneath the gum line, restoring your smile to optimal health. A cleaning also involves polishing the teeth, which removes minor stains and brightens your smiles. Removing plaque also freshens your breath.
About Dr. Truong: Dr. Diep Truong, DDS offers a comfortable dental care employing the latest in cutting-edge dental technology. Our patients in Dallas and Richardson have access to innovative preventive, cosmetic, and restorative procedures. To schedule an appointment, call Viva Dental Family Dentistry at (214) 337-7800 (Dallas) or (972) 437-6000 (Richardson).