Did you know somewhere between 8% and 15% of the country experiences some form of dental anxiety? Dental anxiety means even the most routine procedures give someone pause. When people avoid seeing the dentist, minor issues can lead to serious complications, including damaged teeth, tooth loss, infection, and even periodontal disease. In order to help nervous patients undergo treatment, we offer gentle dental sedation.
Facts About Dental Sedation
- We can Help Patients with Anxiety: We can use dental sedation to help patients with mild or severe anxiety remain calm, relaxed, and conscious during treatment. Patients can then undergo minor procedures or more extensive treatment.
- Nitrous Oxide Wears Off Quickly: Also known as laughing gas, this is administered via a mask over the nose. The gas helps patients remain calm and conscious, able to respond to the dentist. Afterward, patients will have little to no memories of their experience. The effects also wear off almost immediately, meaning you can return to work or school yourself.
- We can Offer Deeper Relaxation: Oral sedation is administered in pill form a few hours before the procedure. The patient enters a deeper form of relaxation than nitrous oxide can provide. Again, the patient will be conscious but will have no memory of the procedure. However, the effects will take time to wear off, so you will need to arrange for a friend or family member to drive you home.
- We Will Take Multiple Factors into Consideration Before Recommending Sedation: We will look at your current health, your age, your weight, and your medical history before we suggest a solution or your anxiety.
- We can Combine Treatments: In some cases, we may actually combine nitrous oxide and oral sedation for our nervous patients.
Do You Have Dental Anxiety?
We can offer treatments to help you feel calm during your visits. Our Dallas, TX office welcomes patients from North Oak Cliff, Bishop Arts District, Kessler Park, Duncanville, Grand Prairie, and nearby cities. Our Richardson, TX office welcomes patients from North Dallas, Plano, Garland, and the surrounding communities. To schedule an appointment, call Viva Dental Family Dentistry at (214) 337-7800 (Dallas) or (972) 437-6000 (Richardson).